Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Dirt Road Ponderings

I was thinking about picking a dandelion for wishing. And I did not. But, it made me consider what I would wish for at this moment. It is the end of a day off of work. A day that I met a dear friend for lunch. A day that I got to shop the good will and found two vintage scarf's and a pin to match one of them for 50 cents! A day where I packed up all my gardening tools and headed over to the boys' house to work my end of the garden. I should have made a picture...but it's only dirt so far...with a tiny sign made on an interesting piece of wood that names my garden. I also pull twine to mark rows as I will forget where they are if I do not. I planted a slim jim wrapper on the boys' side just for fun. I worked for a couple hours, part of that sunny and then getting pretty cool. And I came home to soup and salad and leftover malted milk balls from my lunch trip to the candy store (Angela is by far the most food decadent person I know...she feels absolutely NO GUILT in saying, "do you want to go to the candy store???" and I LOVE that about her.) I tried for the first time popcorn jelly belly beans...and it was the strangest experience! They do taste exactly like it. And I found myself thinking...does one eat jelly beans to not eat popcorn, or eat popcorn to not eat jelly beans? Of course, the ever-lasting calorie mind that I can never seem to shake. I tried to watch a terrible movie...but I could not...so back it goes to Netflix. And then I took my walk with the dog and now two cats, since Magi has decided to be a walker like the rest of us. He is the youngest of us and the biggest lolly-gagger, so we end up stopping to call for him. And it was at one of these times, on the dirt road, that I thought about wishes. While the soft air caressed my face, and I watched the kitty tales bouncing up the road, and felt the tug of the blue dog leash in my hand (Bently always wants to be in front of all of us)...I realized that I would wish right then for another day like this one. And wow! Because my life has not been about wishing for more days, but more often wishing for less. I've crossed a milestone on the dandelion banked dirt road, and I'm pretty sure that the dirt road knew that would happen all along.

4 comments:

Leslie Shelor said...

It does sound like a perfect day. Here's wishing you have many more of the same!

k said...

Thanks, Leslie!

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

I love malted milk balls. I am a junk food junkie.

I always got much pleasure in looking at a hill covered in yellow dandelions. I know people hate them so but I don't. I always root for the underdog though hehehehe.

Leslie Shelor said...

I love dandelions. Even in my yard. There's just something about a flower that keeps coming back again and again, even if it gets its head loped off another will take its place. And they are wonderful food for bunnies!