Wednesday, April 9, 2008

A Plea to Cease

Tonight (!) be sure not to miss America's Top MOdel, where they'll be "fighting it out" with what looks to me like some goosedown pillows. Now, I don't know about you...but I've seen girl's fight before and it's never fluffy. My point is...

Do you want to put your finger as far down your throat as I do over "reality" television?? First of all, what is reality about a top model? They are stick figures who spend hours/days/weeks/years on makeup and hair that someone else helps them to succeed on and make endless amounts of money for being gorgeous. How many of you have that experience on a daily basis? Secondly, if you are fighting it out for poor Paul Peters in elementary school, you still got a little bloody. But, these girls are fighting it out for money or a crown or a title or their picture on a magazine and they're picking up a pillow? Not real. And if so, go meet some Long Island girls...because I'ma gonna tell ya, that those girls can break you up badly and leave not one mark on themselves at the end of it. I've seen 'em, I've shared offices with them. It is the fartherest thing from pretty, but mindboggling amazing it is nothing short of.

But, the truth for me is this...I want to watch the shows that are either based on fact (PBS, Documentaries and the like) or shows that are written by wonderful creative writers who want to make me laugh, cry or dreamy over characters that could only be born of imagination.

If I had a vote it would be to lose the reality tv, because it is anything but real and the concepts are way less than imaginative every time. If we are out of ideas, let's start playing DVD's of the old stuff.

7 comments:

jagosaurus said...

Yeah, reality tv sucks, but I watch ANTM with a near-religious zeal because it is so unbelievably preposterous and stupid. In fact, I am counting down to tonight's episode right now.

k said...

Well, for humor's sake, certainly. :)

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

oooh tell me about it!!! How about Flavor of Love on VH1....makes me literally want to barf up my cupcakes!

k said...

Yeah...that one is pretty disgusting.

8 said...

I've never seen Survivor, Idol, any of it. Not interested, sometimes not home, can't be bothered.

Adam Curry (yes, the former MTV guy who is now big in the podcasting guy) was discussing this on one of his podcasts, and he made an interesting point that I hadn't considered. He is a fan, and his wife is a judge on a show in Holland.

He said that, in a world where everything is fake, perhaps the only slice of reality is the look on the face of a winner/loser when their fate is revealed.

Even so, I can't stand any of them. I'll take televised sports, History Channel, or one of the few dramas I follow (John Adams, Sarah Connor Chronicles, The Riches)

8 said...

er, "big in the podcasting GAME". Sorry.

Warwick Circle said...

Amen!!